UPDATE



Hi. This is an old, unmaintained blog. You may find these sites more to your liking:

Carson Brackney: This is my primary site.

Ad Astra Traffic: Content production/article writing service.

Ad Astra Traffic Team: For those who'd like to get writing gigs with Ad Astra.


Sunday, May 21, 2006

Freelance content writer marketing...Selling the process or the producer?

I think there there are two aspects to marketing oneself as a freelance content writer. One can sell himself or herself as a writer. One can also sell the idea of web content.

I think an optimal strategy has to involve both elements. A writer should make an effort at convincing people they need the fresh content in the first place and should also make sure to explain why they should go to him or her to get the job done.

Personally, my marketing often tends to focus on the"choose me" portion of the equation. I devote more time and energy to explaining why Content Done Better is an optimal content solution than I do on pitching the idea of hiring a writer in the first place. To be honest, I don't do enough to encourage potential clients to embrace the idea of hiring a freelance content writer in the first place. I suppose I assume that most of those who find me already know that they need a writer.

On the other hand, I do think I do a good job of coming up with ideas for clients with respect to content options and how they might be able to use specific items they may have otherwise overlooked. You can call it an up-sell, but I really do try to make it a matter of quality customer service.

I am considering doing a little bit more with respect to selling people on the idea of outsourcing their writing needs in the first place. I don't know how many potential customers there are out there for me who don't already know, but I also don't know how many I might be missing while I slight that aspect of the marketing process.