UPDATE



Hi. This is an old, unmaintained blog. You may find these sites more to your liking:

Carson Brackney: This is my primary site.

Ad Astra Traffic: Content production/article writing service.

Ad Astra Traffic Team: For those who'd like to get writing gigs with Ad Astra.


Friday, June 09, 2006

Rates and compromise...When and why it's okay to break your rate...

As business grows, I find myself increasingly able to choose the projects in which I am interested. There's less of a pressure to "fill my time." The "feast or famine" routine isn't a big concern for me at this point.

However, like all freelancers, there is part of me that is inevitably haunted by the idea of suddenly running out of work. It's not a big part of me, but it remains no matter how busy I am at any given point.

That's one reason why I work with Client X. Client X pays me a little bit less than I would consider taking from anyone else, but always has something for me to do. Client X offers a good chunk of completely predictable work and pays immediately without any hassles. Client X is an easy person with whom to work and we've developed a great relationship in terms of project development and meeting one another's expectations.

You will hear many writers advise others new to the field not to compromise in terms of pay rates. You should have your bottom rate and be steadfast in its defense, they will argue. Although I do agree that one shouldn't work at a rate they cannot afford, I temper that perspective with an appreciation of intangibles. That's why I am willing to cut rate for Client X. The intangibles.

Things like consistency, reliability and a great attitude do make a difference to me. Basically, as a freelance content writer I am looking for the very same things buyers want when they shop for a writer! They want someone with whom they can work and upon whom they can rely. It really is a two-way street.

So, I suppose other factors can justify rate drops. There is a time when some compromise is a good thing.

Some of the hardcore "don't break your rate" people might lambast me for that compromise. However, while they are struggling to fill their schedule with people who may not be a joy with whom to work and projects they may not enjoy, I have a nice little insurance policy with Client X.

Don't get me wrong--the work is still profitable. Not as profitable as other jobs, but it's tolerable. I am not advocating starvation or sleeplessness as a response to having a nice client. However, I do think rate compromise has its place.

When you do right by your freelance writer, they will do right by you!