UPDATE



Hi. This is an old, unmaintained blog. You may find these sites more to your liking:

Carson Brackney: This is my primary site.

Ad Astra Traffic: Content production/article writing service.

Ad Astra Traffic Team: For those who'd like to get writing gigs with Ad Astra.


Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ed Bradley...Thanks, Ed...

I just found out that veteran tv news personality Ed Bradley has died of leukemia at the age of 65.

Reasons to like Ed Bradley, to mourn his passing and to celebrate his life...




  • He always seemed like a fair interviewer to me, as well as an insightful one.
  • He wore an earring. Not what you'd expect from a 60 Minutes guy.
  • He put together "In the Killing Fields of America," "Death by Denial," and several other great hour long news specials.
  • He was a teacher and a radio disk jockey before taking up journalism.

There are many other reasons to like Ed Bradley. Here's my own personal favorite...

A little over a decade ago, I was living in Colorado and I happened to flip on the radio one evening while making supper. I heard this organ and a saxaphone playing off on one another. It wasn't really my kind of music. I didn't dislike jazz, but it just wasn't my thing. The song faded and before I got around to switching to a different station, I heard this familiar voice telling me that I was listening to Illinois Jacquet and giving me some interesting biographical information, etc.

It was Ed Bradley. If it hadn't been the recognizable voice of Mr. Bradley doing his "Jazz at Lincoln Center" radio show, I might've switched stations. I listened instead.

I ended up becoming a regular listener and learning a lot about some great music. If it wasn't for Ed Bradley, I don't know how I'd feel about Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Cannonball Adderly, etc. I doubt I'd have Illinois Jacquet's "Loot to Boot" in my CD rack.

Thanks, Ed.