UPDATE



Hi. This is an old, unmaintained blog. You may find these sites more to your liking:

Carson Brackney: This is my primary site.

Ad Astra Traffic: Content production/article writing service.

Ad Astra Traffic Team: For those who'd like to get writing gigs with Ad Astra.


Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Closing the Price Gap...

I started on this subject yesterday and thought I would finish up today. If someone is bidding less than I am for a content job, I can either (a) drop my price to match or beat the competitor, (b) wave goodbye to the job, (c) justify the cost differential to the customer, (d) attempt (c) while also decreasing price somewhat as per (a).

I like option (c). It's my preferred technique.

But how in the hell is one supposed to convince someone to pay more? What possible benefit will overcome a price gap for a content job?

Yesterday, I challenged everyone to think of how they might answer that. Here's a few of the factors I will stand by as reasons to hire me even if I am off by a penny or so per word...

*I draw a distinction between myself and hobbyists/part-timers. There is nothing wrong about being a dabbler, and some are great writers. However, I do think there are advantages to working with someone whose livelihood depends on an ability to deliver.

*I discuss possible long-term arrangements or higher volume jobs at a lower rate. Let me tell you from experience that outsourcing large projects in small chunks to a number of writers can be challenging and frustrating. If I am able to handle the whole of a larger job, that idea of one-stop shopping can be compelling.

*I let the buyer know that I speak their language. I have a background as a webmaster as well as a writer. Also, I stay on top of the content industry. I read every day on a variety of subjects that are not always directly related to writing, but are critical to understanding what customers want and why. I have found that buyers enjoy working with someone who understands what they are trying to do. I generally require less instruction and never surprise clients with something that doesn't match their needs.

Of course, there are alot of other things one can do. We should all be tooting our quality horns, putting potential buyers in touch with respected clients who are prepared to say good things about us, providing more contact information than an email address, and explaining our commitment to customer service, etc. On those jobs where our special skills or backgrounds are of unique assistance, we need to make that clear.

I am still curious about others' perceptions of this... What does separate you as a writer enough that you are worth a little bit more? Buyers: What would a writer have to offer you to make up for a higher bid?